Beat poet songstress & indie/soul singer songwriter
Cultural, World travelled Artist Marie Island enriched with her own world travel stories.
Born and raised in Christchurch, Marie inherited her grandmother’s piano at the age of 7 and the seed was planted. Her mother took her to piano lessons religiously for 4 years, Marie while growing up was influenced by her composer father and the creative vibe of “jamming musicians” crowding her family lounge.
20 years ago Marie’s lyrics came rolling in on the beat of the drum; and they keep rolling in with the strum of guitar, and while tinkering on the keyboard! Marie’s music is enriched with stories capturing moments in time; her lyrics weave threads of culture, world travel and connection to the earth. She explores passion and darkness and love- all with a whole lot of soul!
Marie is dedicated to empowering and inspiring people through music; and her music has been enriched through teaching in her private practice and in schools; collaborating with artists and her communities in plenty of diverse musical projects. These days you can find Marie Island either teaching and empowering others in her home studio or local schools, solo mothering her beautiful “Sweet African Boy” of 7 years, or performing at local West Coast events. A significant and most recent stage performance was with her Drum Band “Tohora Beats” on the V.I.P stage at Wildfoods Festival 2020 Hokitika.
- Mr Sunshade EP King: Street Studios
- Don’t wait too long: Tsunami Studios
- Baby Baby Baby: Collaboration Singer Songwriters Album Vol 5 New Plymouth
Highlights as a solo act: Indie/soul singer songwriter
- Opened for Mamaku project
- Performed in the SpiegelTent for the New Plymouth Arts Festival
- Performing at the New Plymouth Festival of the lights
- Cafes and Bars around Australia and New Zealand
As producer/director and performer
- ‘Aotearoa to Wireless Africa’ – a story told through drumming, world mix lyrical vocal, unique instruments and traditional dance with a cast of 25.
- ‘Girl Story’ – an intimate show of female artists sharing their musical journey
Highlights of her drumming and vocal genre “Beat Poet Songstress”
- Opened for Paul Ubana Jones,
- Played at the Norfolk Island Multicultural festival.
- Opened for Cornerstone roots at “Pae Pae in the Park”
- Played at a variety of cultural events organised by Sam Manzanza, including a major fundraising concert for Red Cross held in Wellington.
- Marie Island’s debut album is on the cards for this year! This is her year to jump back on the “Waka” with her artist hat on. So get ready; this Artist is just beginning!
- Marie plans to present more “Girl Story Concerts” in the future.
“Marie Island- considered as Kiwi’s hidden Gem”
– words from Andrew White